This is an easy weeknight meal with bright crisp citrus flavor as well as the tang of cilantro. The coconut milk ensures that the chicken stays moist and makes for a great sauce. Cilantro is an herb that grows well in a variety of conditions and you can easily have a small container growing on your kitchen windowsill. You can prep this the night before and let it marinate in the refrigerator or for 2 hours on the kitchen counter before putting it in the oven.
Serve over a bed of cauliflower rice or quinoa. Makes a great addition to a left-over lunch salad (served cold) on a base of arugula. The coconut cilantro citrus sauce makes for a great dressing.
- 1.25 lbs (560g) boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts (halved)
- 1 can (400ml) coconut milk
- 1 oz (25g) or half a bunch of cilantro chopped
- The juice of 1 lemon plus 1/2 lemon sliced
- 4 small or 2 large cloves of garlic crushed or put through a press
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Garlic Press
- Oven safe dish
- Knives and chopping board
Marinade up to a day or 2 hours in advance:
- Wash and pat your chicken dry with paper towels. Place into a bowl.
- Pour contents of coconut milk over chicken.
- Wash and Chop 25g of cilantro (stems included) and add to chicken mixture.
- Juice 1 lemon and cut 1/2 lemon in slices add both to marinade.
- peel and crush garlic and add (or put through the garlic press)
- Cover and place in refrigerator overnight (if choosing this method -allow to sit on the counter at least 30 minutes before putting in the oven)
- OR allow to marinate for 2 hours on the kitchen counter.
Preheat oven to 350f (180c)