Nothing says summertime like the green and yellow zucchini/courgette. This gem of a vegetable has a mild taste but still provides large amounts of nutrients in the form of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants like VitC, VitA, potassium & those energy building B-vitamins.
This is a grain-free lasagna made with zucchini, two different types of goat cheese, as well as some fresh herbs (basil thyme oregano) and basil pesto.
The trick to helping it stay together is to change the direction of the slices as you layer it.
Perfect as a light dinner or side to bring along to your next summer BBQ. Fun fact: there are over 15 different varieties of summer squash and all are related to the cucumber, another fresh summer vegetable.
- 750-1.2 kg/ 1,8 -2,5lbs of zucchini
- 200 g / 7 oz. fresh goat cheese
- 180g / 6 oz. basil pesto (with or without pine nuts)
- 1 bag of shredded goat cheese mozzarella
- Fresh herbs – 1 Bunch of each
- cutting board
- sheet pan
- coconut oil or other cooking fat
- ovenproof casserole (size depends on the amount of zucchini you’ve purchased and are using)
- vegetable peeler
- sharp knife
- mixing bowl
- parchment paper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F
- Wash, peel (optional) and cut zucchini into thick slices.
- Lay zucchini slices out on a sheet pan in a single layer (I ended up using two sheet pans) that had been lightly greased with a cooking fat (alternatively you can use parchment paper for this without the cooking fat)
- sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Roast zucchini in the oven until tender (about 15-20 minutes) you want it to be soft but not fall apart when picked up with a fork
- While Zucchini is oven, whisk together goat cheese with pesto in a small bowl
- Wash and prepare the fresh herbs pluck off enough basil leaves (roughly one cup) to cover one layer of lasagna pinch off thyme leaves chop oregano leaves 1-2 TBSP
- Lightly grease the bottom of the casserole dish
- Once zucchini is out of the oven, prepare the first layer by laying down zucchini slices on the bottom of the pan.
- Spread a thin layer of the goat cheese/pesto mix over the top of zucchini slices
- Alternate the direction of the zucchini slices for the next layer so that they are perpendicular to the first.
- Add a layer of basil leaves and sprinkle basil with shredded goat cheese mozzarella
- Continue layering zucchini (changing the direction as you got) and alternate cheese/pesto mix and herbs, finishing with a layer of mozzarella and fresh herbs on top.
- Place in oven for 20-30 minutes until you notice pesto and goat cheese are bubbly and mozzarella has melted entirely on top (see photo).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Allow to set for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Use a sharp knife to cut into squares and a spatula to serve.
- Serves 3-4 as a main dish, 4-6 as a side dish.
Leave a Reply